Sunday 23 November 2014

Sunshine Sweet Potato

Note to self - when it states "large sweet potato" get a laaaarge sweet potato, especially when you intend to bake it and stuff it with all the goodness of the world. Sadly, I had to leave out some of the goodness in the world here, but worry not, I had the rest in a bowl as I was waiting for the egg to bake.

Note to you - this was really delicious! I used a vegetarian Quorn sausage instead of spicy sausage as the original recipe calls for, but the chilli and smoked paprika added spice aplenty!

Sunshine Sweet Potato
(Serves 1)


1 XXL sweet potato (just sayin')
1 tbsp butter
1 Quorn sausage, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 tsp fresh chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
A good dash smoked paprika
15g grated cheddar
Chopped fresh coriander (optional)
Salt and black pepper
1 egg

- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. If you want, peel the sweet potato, or wash it and bake for about 50 minutes until tender.

- Once it's ten minutes left of the cooking time, heat the butter in a small frying pan and fosten the onion along with the sausage, once soft, todd in the chilli and seasoning and fry for another minute or two.

- Now, scoop out most of the sweet potato, but making sure the outer layer is intact. In a bowl, mix the excess sweet potato with the sausage mix, and cheese and place back into the potato (if it doesn't all fit, just eat it ^ ^). Make a well in the middle of the mixture and crack the egg into it. Return the potato to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the egg is cooked.

Serve up and eeeeenjoy! This was so easy and tasty - will definitely be making it again, with a BIG sweet potato next time!

For some reason, sweet potato is one of those vegetables that I prefer peeled, I usually never peel carrots or other potatoes, because - it's good for you, and it doesn't taste any different. I think it's because I went through a sweet potato phase (yes, these exist) and I had it too frequently. Anywho! The one I got in the shop turned out to have white flesh, which doesn't bake as well as the more common orange sweet potato.

Oh and by the way, sorry for the few days' absence, I have been working non-stop this weekend, and on Friday I went to the cinema with a friend. I hadn't been to the cinema since I-don't-know-when - I saw the new Hunger Games movie. Then, yesterday Mari-cat treated me to dinner at her place, which was lovely! She made her now infamous pancake-cake-cake (sadly no photgraphic evidence of this phenomenon. One day though!) I hope you have had a lovely weekend! Have you been up to much?


Original source:
Spice it Up! p. 94

- Jules

4 comments:

  1. Mmm that looks good! I love sweet potato, adding cheese sounds like the way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most humble thanks m'dear :) This was a treat ^ ^
      x

      Delete
  2. Søtpotet♡ Det er så godt det. Og for en spennende og helt sikkert smakfull variant dette så ut som. Har du smakt med mandelsmør, kanel og lønnesirup? Min favoritt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dette her var kjempegodt ja! Er sikker på du kan ha det med paprika hummus også, mmmm ^ ^ Eller kikerter og aivar? :)
      Mandelsmør, kanel og lønnesirup hørtes fantastisk ut! Har kun smakt søtpotet med kanel som tilbehør til middag da jeg var i Statene, det var overraskende godt, så nå fikk jeg utrolig lyst og prøve din variant. Har kun peanøttsmør, men det går gjerne ikke like bra, men ikke forde - hvem vet? *inspirert* x

      Delete