Saturday 11 October 2014

Savoury Polenta Cake

Polenta, or coarse cornflour/cornmeal isn't anything I had worked with before until I saw this easy recipe for polenta cake! I made it vegan by using nutritional yeast instead of parmesan, and I reckon it worked quite well! Parmesan does have quite a bit of a stronger and cheesier flavour of course, so if you're not vegan, then go wild! I might try it with parmesan next time I make this.

It works well with dinners should you be out of potatoes for example, and the polenta also mops up gravy rather well too! I tried it first with some venison, carrots and red onion gravy, which worked a treat. But you could also use this and make sandwich wedges, filling it with hummous, cheese, ham, anything you want really! Oh and it's gluten-free too!

Savoury Polenta Cake
(Makes one 18-20cm cake tin's worth)


1 litre vegetable stock
200g polenta/coarse cornmeal/cornflour1 handful rocket, torn (optional)
85g parmesan OR 50g nutritional yeast
2 tsp parsley, finely chopped
2 tsp chervil, finely chopped
2 tsp chives, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

- Start by pouring the vegetable stock into a large casserole, then add the polenta little by little to prevent it from going lumpy, and stir well and frequently for 25-30 minutes. Make sure it doesn't catch the bottom. The mixture should come away from the pan, take it off the heat.

- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Add all the remaining ingredients to the polenta ans stir really well to combine.

- Pour the polenta mixture into a cake tin or mould and bake for about 20 minutes, cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving it with whatever you want!

PS. I also imagine adding grated cheese to the top before baking it would be a winner too!

Polenta Pacman before the feast...!


Have you ever cooked with polenta before?

Yesterday, I was at a Rocky Horror Picture Show party and it was amazing! So many fantastic costumes, and despite coming a little unprepared the girls made sure I got make-upped to the max and wearing a top hat, haha, so much fun! What have you been up to so far this weekend? Any plans for today?


Original source:
Good Mood Food, p. 18

- Jules

6 comments:

  1. I have never cooked with polenta before, but you are making me want to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I hadn't either until I tried this, and it works a treat! It's great how it just comes together without needing to use eggs or anything :) x

      Delete
  2. Creative vegetarian. I will share the recipe with my vegetarian cousin if she not cuddle lions in Botswana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kjetil! Haha, maybe even the lions would approve of this. Thanks for passing on the recipe, that is so lovely :) Plenty more vegetarian and vegan recipe on the blog as well :) I hope you have a lovely Sunday Mister ;)

      Delete
  3. Jeg hadde faktisk litt dilla på maisbrød for noen år siden. Det er så godt, på en måte både søtt og salt samtidig, og det passer liksom til alt. Jeg brukte det mye til chilibønnegryter.
    Din variant høres nydelig ut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk! Er din oppskrift på bloggen din mon tro? *stikker innom Ragnhilds blogg for og snike litt*
      Syns tradisjonelt "cornbread" er nydelig, men dette var en rask of enkel variant også :) x

      Delete