Tuesday 2 September 2014

Easy Vegan Bacon Garnish

Yeah, you heard me - VEGAN! Aint that neat?

I am juuuust back home from having spent my Summer holiday with my family in Norway, and thus there might just be a post in the near future about it - just maybe *winks*. After ten days away, I have climbed mountains, eaten ice cream o'plenty and topped up on my favourite dish - raspeballer. I have attended a poetry slam in the heart of Bergen, seen some celebrities - and.....I just heard back from the people from my course and I have become a nutritional advisor, how about that? Needless to say I am really happy I made it, not to mention surprised and relieved!


I have seen several recipes for vegan coconut bacon, and most recipes call for the sliced coconut. I however, happened to have no such thing in my flat and thus settled for using dessicated coconut and just use it for garnish instead, and I was mighty surprised how something vegan can taste so beautifully....smokey - as if straight from the barbecue, mmmm!

I composed this recipe based on the main component in the other ones I have seen, and also just using whatever I had at hand. I think the liquid smoke is the key though, and you can find it in some Mexican food shops, as well as some normal food shops.

I might have used tamarind instead of tamari, which was somewhat a foolish thing to do, but thankfully it tasted really nice! Don't worry though, I corrected it in the recipe below for you *smiles*

Easy Vegan Bacon Garnish
(Makes 1 cup)


1 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/3 tsp liquid smoke (it's seriously strong stuff!)
1 tbsp tamari + 2 tbsp water
1-2 tsp maple syrup (can use honey for vegetarian)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp coconut oil

- Simply start by combining the dessicated coconut with smoked paprika and salt, stir well to combine.

- Add the liquid smoke, syrup, tamari and water and stir, stir, stir some more!

- Heat coconut oil in a small frying pan on medium-low heat, and add the "bacon" mix. Stir frequently, and once it starts to char slightly, after about 5-10 minutes, it's done! Either use as garnish straight away or cool completely before storing in an airtight container or a jar for up to 1-2 weeks.

I have used it as garnish on fried eggs, topped soups with it, and now I am making a casserole that I plan on garnish with some of it as well ^ ^

Have you ever tried to make vegan bacon before?


Recipe by yours truly, with a little help from the iWebs!

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on being a full-fledged Nutritional Advisor now!! WOOHOO!! Well done, Jules!!

    Also, I'm glad to hear you had a fabulous vacation! Which celebrities did you see?! I'm curious!!

    As for the vegan bacon... YUM!! I tried this stuff while I was in San Francisco and really liked it! I always wondered how they had flavored it -- now I know (and will have to try it!!)

    Beautifully presented, too!! Thanks for an awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose <3 Hello there you ;)
      Thank you so so much for the lovely comment, I'm sitting here with a silly grin on my face :P As for the celebrities, it was "only" Norwegian ones, one of the most famous ones being Jon Arne Riise the footballer, it's just weird, cause walking around town I almost felt as if I was walking inside a TV with all these known faces :P

      Vegan bacon is really good, and I think it's the liquid smoke that holds the magic flavour for most part :) Next time I might try with coconut shavings! Ah, I wanna go to San Fran, I've heard it's quite something ^ ^

      I hope you're well m'dear :) xx

      Delete
  2. Woho, gratulerer!!! Så fantastisk! Og dagene dine i Norge hørtes veldig veldig bra ut også.
    Og dette!!! Nam! Jeg har så lyst til å lage 'bacon' jeg også og jeg liker ideen med å lage det som strø.
    God kveld til deg Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen tusen takk Ragnhild! Er jo litt stas og få godkjent da :) Det var godt med en liten ferie ^ ^
      Du kan også gjerne bruke skivet kokos for en mer "bacon"-aktig topping, men dette ga iallefall god smak :) Stor klem! x

      Delete
  3. Oh Jules! Very well done and congrats :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm spennende :) Jeg pleier å lage av sopp eller tofu, med paprikakrydder og liquid smoke.

    ReplyDelete