Thursday 31 July 2014

Two Mushroom Salad

Howdy! Y'all had a great week so far? I hope so!

Here, is a lovely side dish that has a little bit of a zing to it! And if you're like me and haven't completely made your mind up about what you think about mustard, worry not - as you can hardly taste it and the thyme and citrus juice takes the edge of it!

Two Mushroom Salad
(Serves 2, can be used as a side, or add a main piece of protein for a light main)


150g Chestnut mushrooms, sliced
150g button mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
150g mixed salad leaves (or mesclun)
Juice of 2/3 lemon or 1 lime
2 tsp mustard
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme

- Start by frying the mushrooms in a large frying pan for about 5-10 minutes until they start sweating and start shrinking and go a dark golden colour, season with a little salt and pepper. Take off the heat and let cool for a while.

- Now, in a large mixing bowl, have the leaves and the mushrooms. Mix the citrus juice, mustard and chopped thyme and pour over the salad. Toss well to combine and serve with a main meal, such as chicken and babycorn, steak and sweet potato wedges or other such things that you think would work well paired up with this!


Today, on my lunch break, I managed to purchase a recipe book by Mister G. Ramsay, a spice and coffee bean grinder, as well as the mighty scripts of Indian cooking - India, with a thousand Indian recipes, yikes! I had a look through the book and all the dishes just makes me happy! There are some great rustic and homely photos as well as a bit of background stories about the different parts of India and their way of cooking. I cannot wait to get my paws on some of the recipes in there!


I was also told that now that I will be cooking every day at work in the near future, I am most likely to end up cooking less at home, which kind of had struck me the other week. But worry not! It only means that as opposed to posting something eeeevery day, it'll be like maybe 2-4 times a week. In other words, still regularly - so stay tuned *smiles*

What's your favourite side salad?


Original Source:
Low-Fat Meals in Minutes, p. 77

- Jules

10 comments:

  1. I am the only one I know who likes mushrooms!! If I made this dish, I would be the only one eating it. Oh well. More for me :) This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I used to not like mushrooms, but only because I was little and my mum didn't like it, so I assumed it wasn't good.
      Boy - how wrong was I? I have since made up for the deprivation of these little things, so good! This is such a simple salad to make, but surprisingly full of flavour! x

      Delete
  2. That looks like a delicious salad! And that India cookbook is amazing, I got it from the library once and everything in it was mind-blowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June!
      You've had a go at the India cookbook? Awesome! Got any favourite recipes from it? :)
      The salad is so easy and tasty, perfect as a side ^ ^

      Delete
  3. Well I love mushrooms as well (and mustard) and this looks super healthy and flavourful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emma! Mushrooms are great, aren't they? I am not a fan of superstrong mustard, but in this recipe if goes really well with the citrus and thyme. I hope you have a great weekend! x

      Delete
  4. I'm ashamed to say I'm not familiar with either mushroom. Time to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to go shopping indeed! I am sure you have seen them before but just have different names from them. In Norwegian for example, chestnut mushrooms are called "aroma mushrooms" because of their nutty smell and flavour, but they are really just the lovely brown mushrooms, and button mushrooms are the small white ones, champignons :) I hope you enjoy it! x

      Delete
  5. Så rart! Jeg kommenterte dette innlegget i går, men nå ser jeg at kommentaren ikke ligger her... hmm..
    Uansett :) NAM! Stekt sopp er nydelig! Rå sopp får jeg derimot frysninger av. Og ikke på en god måte ;)
    Skjønner godt hvis det blir mindre hjemmekokkelering nå som jobben din blir å lage mat. Kommer til å savne dine daglige innlegg.
    Så gøy med nye kokebøker- min favoritt type bøker ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystefystisk! Det har vært noen gremlinser inne og snoket i det siste, har merket på flere blogger at det har vært vanskelig og kommentere av og til!
      Jeg er litt skeptisk til helt rå sopp jeg også, men et par minutter på pannen så er det klart vettu! ;) Skal sørge for at det blir regelmessige innlegg om ikke hver dag :) Du får ta deg et dykk i arkivet! Hva er din favoritt kokebok? :) x

      Delete