Thursday 20 February 2014

Sweetpotato Cake for Any Occasion

This is something I decided to make Saturday morning - for breakfast!

Some people have a full Scottish fry-up, and others have, well... Sweet potato cake! This is virtually free of sugar though, and almost tastes like carrot cake!
You can make a sweet cream cheese frosting, or melt chocolate to drizzle over. Perhaps some nice whipped cream and chopped nuts?

Since it was my breakfast, I decided to be good, so I topped one with Greek yogurt mixed with some jam, and one with sukrin gold and a squeeze of lemon - tasty! It was really good just on it's own as well, and I'm sure chocolate spread will work wonders too!

Sweetpotato Cake for Any Occasion
(Makes one cake, simple as that!)


200g sweetpotato, cubed, cooked and mashed (or use already made purée)
100g wholemeal flour (I used half and half with wholemeal and almond flour)
1 banana, mashed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp melted coconut oil, or sunflower/rapeseed oil
30g protein powder (I used quite a neutral one, with a hint of vanilla) OR 30g more flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cardamom
1/4-1/2 tsp ground cloves
5 tbsp honey or sukrin gold (Can use brown sugar or syrup instead)

- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180°C.

- First, mix together sukrin gold/sugar/honey/syrup until well combined, then add your eggs, oil, banana, and sweet potato.

- Once well combined, add the spices, flour and protein powder (if using). Stir well, and once it's all done, pour into a greased cake tin (mine is about 20-24cm in diametre).

- Bake for about 20 minutes, and cool slightly before serving.

I also reckon some apple wedges pressed neatly into it would be a real winner as well, I think I might try that next time!


Original source:
http://amanamlyn.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/treningsprogram-og-stpotetkake.html

- Jules

2 comments: