Sunday 5 January 2014

Pleskner

Or maybe the medieval poor man's biscuit?

I felt it was about time to take out my granny's old cookbook again, it feels like forever and a day since I last used it, which really isn't good enough...

When flicking through the pages, I noticed a recipe that seemed to simple not to try out, even just for the sake of testing what they tasted like. Three ingredients, and I came to the conclusion that these must be the poor-man's version of "cookies". After I had made them, I had a small epiphany - what about using two of these as a sandwich with something nice like chocolate spread of peanut butter inside?

Either which way you choose to eat them, they would go with a cup of tea regardless! They remind me a little bit of crispy waffles in flavour.

The batter will be only slightly thicker than pancake batter, so make sure to not make them too big and keep a good bit of space between them, a couple of mine melted together, but then you could always decorate them to make like a pair of eyes, or something else!

Pleskner
(Makes 16, about 30 calories each)


1 egg
50g sugar
50g plain flour

- Pre-heat your oven to 225°C.

- In a bowl, whish together the egg and sugar. Then simply sieve the flour over and combine well.

- Use a teaspoon to dollop on the batter on a baking tray with non-stick parchment, or a greased tray. Bake in the oven until golden, about 10 minutes or so. Take them out and leave them on a rack to cool before carefully removing them from the tray or baking paper.

This batch was only one third of what the recipe said, but I am only little! Sometimes all the baking can seem a bit overwhelming when reading recipes using big quantities, but I believe than everything can be had in moderation. That's why I thought that making enough batter to use with one egg would be good - and I was right! Enough if you're having a few guests, and some leftovers for yourself! I will be trying these with a little peanut butter sandwiched inbetween two tomorrow I think, I don't see how that could be anything short of amazing!

With the filling, it madea big difference, but I have yet to try and donk them into a cuppa!


Original source:
Mormor

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment