Saturday 9 November 2013

Indian Chickpea & Vegetable Soup

Happy Saturday!
Today, I'll present you with a mighty simple, but deliciously fragrant soup. It's vegetarian, has a good bit of protein in it and tastes way better than it looks...Trust me, I will make this again *smiles*

This can be made using mainly store cupboard ingredients and most leftover vegetables that needs used. Originally it had green beans in it, but I didn't have that, so I just made it without. Any root vegetables and potatoes will do nicely in this, as well as different types of onions. I hope you enjoy!

Indian Chickpea & Vegetable Soup
(Serves 2, about 190 calories each, excluding whatever you serve it with)


1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger, or ground
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp Garam Masala
400-450g vegetable stock (1 cube or 1 1/2 tbsp powder)
2 large carrots, chopped
200g can chickpeas (130g drained)
Naan, or good crusty bread to serve (optional, of course)

- Start by heating the oil in a medium-sized pan over a fairly high heat. Tip in the onion, ginger and garlic and soften for a few minutes.

- Turn the heat down a little and add the Garam Masala, carrots and vegetable stock (plus additional vegetables if using). Simmer on medium heat for about ten minutes until the carrots have gone tender.

- Swirl through the chickpeas, and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes until the chickpeas are heated through. Serve on its own, or with naan, bread or perhaps a dollop of natural yogurt? Either way, I hope it'll be a hit!

The first portion I made, I got to enjoy in full however, the second portion I took with me to work exploded in the microwave when I tried to heat it up *growls* I suppose that's what I get for trying to heat it up in a thin and tall container... At least I've learnt my lesson!

Oh, and the list! Remember the list I posted a picture up of the other day? Well I have managed to make nine things out of it, and that's with not going to the shop for any of the ingredients! The only "exception" dinner I had, was when I had a couple of friends over for "Forest Kebabs" and wine on Wednesday, we had a board of chopped up dark chocolate, smarties and biscuits for desert, which worked a treat!

Hope you have a lovely weekend! Any plans?


Original source:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9044/indian-chickpea-and-vegetable-soup

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment