Monday 21 October 2013

Red Onion & Fig Reduction

I saw The Little Bean Kitchen's post on how to make a fancy looking reduction to go with creamy cheeses and salty Italian cured ham, and so I figured I'd give it a go myself!
It tastes deeelicious, almost like a meal in a spoonful on it's own, mmmm!

Red Onion & Fig Reduction
(Makes between 150-200ml, about 550 calories for the jar)


1 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, cut into rings or halved and sliced
140ml balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 fig, flesh only, chopped

- Start by heating the oil in a medium sized pan on high heat and tip in the onions. Soften for about 5 minutes, before turning down the heat to a low simmer.

- Tip in the vinegar, brown sugar and fig. Leave to simmer uncovered for about 30-40 minutes until you have a thick almost jam-like consistency. Don't forget to stir every ten minutes or so!

Bread with the reduction, blue cheese topped with ham, in the oven on high heat until the cheese has melted, about 3-5 minutes. This was soooooo good! I didn't even know I liked blue cheese so much!

Transfer the rest to a sterilised jar, and keep refrigerated once opened! I imagine this will keep for a couple of weeks at most.


Original source:
http://littlebeankitchen.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/brie-and-prosciutto-sandwich-with-red-onion-and-fig-reductio/

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment