Thursday 13 September 2012

Linselus

Right, so this was the original post I was meant to write up today - as I was quite chuffed with it!
I have been looking around for some vegetarian and vegan recipes lately, and came across this one. Now bear with me, and I will try as best I can to explain the whole "linselus" name, which caught my attention!

Linse = Lentil or Lens, yes! We have the same word for the two things
Lus = Lice, Norwegian is a funny language ey?
Linselus is also what we call someone who always ends up popping up in random photos, either on purpose or not, but obviously here it was all about the lentils - thankfully!

Now, I am unfortunately nor vegetarian or vegan (I really respect people who are though), but I do enjoy cooking vegetarian meals. Over the last few years, I have become a lot less pickier, which is great! More food to appreciate.
This is a little treat for omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores alike! I present to you - Lentil Lice, in all their glory:

Linselus
(Makes about 30, 35-40 calories each)


150 g red lentils
100 g sundried tomato pesto
A dash of vegetable- or sunflower oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
50 g fine oats
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp paprika or chilli flakes
3 tbsp chickpea- or potato flour
About 4 tbsp more oil for frying

- Boil the lentils in plenty of lightly salted water for 10 minutes until tender. Drain off the water.

- Pour the lentils into a bowl along with all the other ingredients and stir the mixture. Leave to set for about 15 minutes, so the mixture thickens a little.

- Shape small "linselus" or balls with your hands, and fry them in a pan with some oil on medium heat, until they are golden on both sides. NB! Try and fry one first, if it starts to run out a little, the mixture needs more flour. Once they are done, place on some kitchen roll on a plate so that some of the oil runs off.

- Serve with some salad, with dipping sauces as a snack, or as part of a pasta dish - they can be used for all sorts of meals!

Original source:
http://veganmisjonen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/oppskrift-linser-linselus-capellini.html

-Jules

2 comments:

  1. I am bothered by linselus all the time when i use my camera. Let´s cook them in stead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sounds dangerous! These ones are at least tasty though :D

      Delete